Sometimes, a patient may not have enough tooth structure visible above the gum line for certain cosmetic or restorative dental procedures.
Fairport, Pittsford, and Rochester, NY
In these cases, a simple surgical procedure called crown lengthening may resolve the issue and restore one’s smile.
When is crown lengthening needed?
- Extending an existing tooth so a crown can be placed
- To extend a tooth that is decayed has broken beneath the gum line or simply is crowded by excess gum tissue
- As a cosmetic procedure to resolve a “gummy” smile
What should I expect during crown lengthening?
First, your teeth will be cleaned by one of our dental hygienists. After a local anesthetic is applied, Dr. Sam Guarnieri will reshape the gum and bone tissue to expose more of the tooth structure. Our cutting-edge technology includes dental lasers, which can be used to alter both gum and bone. Laser treatments make it easier to treat multiple teeth at once. There is less bleeding because the laser immediately cauterizes the wound after making the incision. This also reduces discomfort as well as recovery time.
- Discomfort – An ice pack may be used in 20-minute intervals if facial swelling occurs. Any pain following the procedure typically can be managed by using an anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen.
- Diet – We also recommend a diet of soft, cold foods and drinks for at least a week after undergoing a crown lengthening. An oral hygiene rinse should be used twice daily until your follow-up appointment.
- Additional care – After a crown lengthening procedure, our staff will provide additional instruction as part of your post-op care. We also recommend returning for a follow-up evaluation one to two weeks after the procedure.
- Additional procedures – Once healing is complete, you may resume normal brushing and flossing of the affected tooth, and return for cosmetic or restorative procedures that may be necessary to complete your smile restoration.
If you want to learn more about crown lengthening, call our office today at (585) 248-2575 to schedule a consultation.
Pittsford Dental Excellence Center is here to serve patients in the areas of Fairport, Pittsford, and Rochester, NY.
Don’t forget to share this via Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and LinkedIn.