When a tooth becomes extensively damaged by decay, is broken or fractured, a crown is the ideal restorative treatment.
Fairport, Pittsford, and Rochester, NY
A crown repairs the damage and preserves the vital interior structure of the tooth by replacing the entire exterior of the tooth, and preventing tooth loss.
At Pittsford Dental Excellence Center, we offer the following types of crowns:
- Ceramic – Typically constructed from top-of-the-line dental porcelain or ceramic, each crown is custom-made to guarantee a perfect fit and solid bond to the tooth. These crowns typically are placed on front teeth for an aesthetic appeal. Porcelain crowns also are an ideal option for patients with a metal allergy.
- Metal – Metal crowns can be made of gold, although they also can be fabricated from other dental alloys, with more of a silver color. Metal crowns are the strongest and most durable type of crown available. They are used on teeth that experience the most stress, such as molars (the back teeth) but are seldom used nowadays.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal- A PFM crown consists of a thin metal thimble that has porcelain fused to the metallic shell in a high-heat furnace designed. Just like any crown, PFM’s are designed to fit over the tooth. The porcelain covering makes the crown appear more like your natural teeth. PFM crowns are commonly used for the back teeth.
How do I know if I need a crown?
You may need a crown due to any of these oral health issues:
- Following a root canal
- Having a broken or fractured tooth
- Having a weak, misshapen, short or brittle tooth
- Damage caused by a metal filling
- To treat an area of decay that is too large for a filling or porcelain inlay/onlay
A crown is a restorative treatment that is used to repair a damaged tooth and repair the interior structure by replacing the entire exterior of the tooth to prevent tooth loss. They are custom-made to fit perfectly.
We offer a number of types of crowns, including ceramic; metal; and porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crowns. Ceramic crowns are placed on the front teeth for aesthetic appeal, and made from dental porcelain. They are custom-made to ensure a perfect fit and a solid bond to the tooth. Metal crowns are made from gold or other dental alloys, and are the strongest and most durable type of crown available, although they are seldom used nowadays. PFM crowns are made of porcelain fused to a thin metal shell, and are often used on the back teeth. These crowns are also designed to fit over the tooth.
We may recommend a crown if you have a broken or fractured tooth, or if you have experienced damage caused by a metal filling. Crowns can also be placed after a root canal treatment, or to treat an area of decay that is too large for a filling or porcelain inlay/onlay.
Dental Crowns from Rochester
If you need a dental crown, then the staff at Pittsford Dental Excellence Center can help. Call our Pittsford, NY office today at (585) 248-2575 to schedule a consultation.
Pittsford Dental Excellence Center proudly provides total oral health care to patients in the areas of Fairport, Pittsford, and Rochester, NY.
Don’t forget to share this via Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and LinkedIn.