Fairport, Pittsford and Rochester, NY
You may have seen articles praising the health benefits of apple cider vinegar. Some insist you should drink it every day, or even before every meal. You may not know, however, that frequent consumption of apple cider vinegar actually can harm your teeth.
Why does this happen? It is because of its high acidic quality. Containing malic acid and acetic acid, apple cider vinegar has an average pH between 2.5 and 3.0. Distilled water, a neutral solution, has a pH of 7.0.
The low pH of apple cider vinegar makes it a threat to your oral health if precautions are not taken. If you regularly consume apple cider vinegar for its reported health benefits, you always should dilute the substance. Undiluted apple cider vinegar is acidic enough to weaken the enamel on your teeth. Weakened enamel increases your vulnerability to tooth decay and cavities, plus cause your teeth to be sensitive. Individuals with a particularly heavy consumption of undiluted apple cider vinegar also may experience swelling or burns inside their oral cavity.
Certain websites recommend that people use apple cider vinegar as a mouthwash. Do not do this! This can cause major problems to your oral health.
Dilute any apple cider vinegar into a solution that contains at least five parts of water for every part of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar also is available in pill form, which may be the safest means to ingest it while protecting your oral health.
It is strongly recommended that you never drink apple cider vinegar straight from the bottle.
Natural remedies can have a greater effect on your oral health than you might realize. If you ever have any questions, contact Pittsford Dental Excellence Center at (585) 248-2575. A member of our staff will be happy to assist you.
Pittsford Dental Excellence Center is here to serve patients in the area of Fairport, Pittsford, and Rochester, NY.