Fairport, Pittsford, Rochester NY
A person needs the proper amount of quality sleep to ensure optimal health. Deep, restful sleep helps you be at your best, but sleep deprivation can have negative consequences that go far beyond just feeling tired.
Approximately 25 million adults in America suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, a sleep breathing disorder that occurs when the airway becomes partially or completely blocked during sleep. The blockages due to sleep apnea can occur as many as 30 to 60 times or more per hour, making it difficult to obtain the restorative benefits of deep sleep. During these episodes, the brain is slightly awakened, which disrupts the state of deep sleep. A person with sleep apnea also is more vulnerable to developing other serious health problems such as high blood pressure, cardiac disease, depression or obesity.
Sleep apnea will not just go away. If you suffer from this disorder, you must seek professional treatment, and your dentist can help.
Here are five major warning signs associated with obstructive sleep apnea.
- Loud snoring is the biggest precursor to a sleep breathing disorder. When you snore, it happens because there is soft tissue blocking your upper airway, which vibrates as you breathe.
- Lack of energy results from not getting enough quality rest, because sleep apnea regularly disrupts the ability to rest and remain asleep. This lack of energy can be deadly! One study shows that falling asleep while driving happens most often to adults who exhibit symptoms of a sleep breathing disorder.
- Heartburn can be caused not just by what you eat. Sleep apnea patients regularly complain of an increase in instances of both heartburn and indigestion, which can occur during the day or night.
- Forgetfulness can result from just one night of poor sleep so imagine the cognitive effects on people with sleep apnea who regularly do not get proper rest. Sleep apnea patients complain about absent-mindedness on a regular basis.
- Mood changes are more likely in people with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can negatively affect your mood, making you overly sensitive. As mentioned earlier, sleep apnea has been found to increase the likelihood that a person develops depression.
A sleep apnea dentist is one of the best-qualified medical professionals to diagnose and treat sleep apnea. Rather than solely relying on a sleep study as the primary diagnostic tool, an airway evaluation is useful in determining if a blockage exists and to what severity. This is important when it comes to the treatment method chosen for your case of sleep apnea.
Also, a sleep apnea dentist can treat the symptoms of sleep apnea through the use of an oral appliance. Oral appliance therapy can be less costly and inconvenient than using a CPAP machine, which involves wearing a mask over your nose that forces air into your airway while sleeping.
If you or a member of your family exhibits signs of a sleep breathing disorder, contact Pittsford Dental Excellence Center by calling (585) 248-2575 to schedule a consultation.
Pittsford Dental Excellence Center is here to serve patients in the area of Fairport, Pittsford, and Rochester, NY.